Re-cap Of 2018
Mayor Leary – December 2018
As we wind down 2018 and gear up for the New Year, I want to share a few highlights from this past fiscal year that your city staff and city commission accomplished:
- Acquired 50+ acres of the Howell Branch wetlands for development of a natural park.
- Undergrounded 5.7 miles of overhead power lines.
- Began to underground the transmission and distribution power lines along Fairbanks Avenue from Harper Street to Interstate 4.
- Opened the newly-renovated Fire Station 64 on Howell Branch Road.
- Began Phase 1 of the fiber backbone project to connect all city facilities.
- Added three properties to the Historic Registry.
- Held a grand re-opening for the Winter Park Tennis Center and implemented a new management model to improve maintenance and revenues.
- Completed the first three phases of the Denning Drive Multi-Use Trail improvements from Orange to Canton Avenue.
- Added approximately $750,000 to General Fund Reserves.
- Held our millage rate for the 11th straight year.
- Celebrated the city’s arts & cultural organizations by hosting the inaugural “Weekend of the Arts” event.
- Planted approximately 560 trees in parks and city rights of way.
- Planted a 20-foot Red Cedar in Central Park to serve as the city’s new official Christmas tree that will be lit for the first time at the annual Tree Lighting Ceremony on Friday, December 7.
- Said goodbye to the Rachel D. Murrah Civic Center with a special “We Still Do” event that commemorated the civic center’s historic significance and became Winter Park’s largest public wedding vow renewal ceremony.
- Launched the new Family Fun Program to bring reconnect our families and parks with fun recreational activities.
- Hired three new directors for the Parks & Recreation, Fire-Rescue and Planning departments.
These are just a few of the successes your city has reached in just 12 months and we look forward to celebrating many more in the upcoming year. We are fortunate to be able to not just enjoy what we have inherited, but to also build upon our founders’ vision and improve Winter Park for generations to come. I wish you and your loved ones a very happy holiday season and a prosperous New Year!
Mayor Steve Learyby